Henty' s House at Portland Bay, 1835

Whilst sailing the Victorian coastline, John Helder Wedge, a member of the Port Phillip Association, and former Assistant Surveyor General of Van Diemen's Land, entered Portland Bay. His sketchbook records some of the development he saw in the area, including the original hut constructed by Mr Henty with materials brought across from Launceston on the Thistle. After the town was finally surveyed in 1840, Mr Henty's house was swept away to make room for Bentinck Street.


John Helder Wedge field book. October 1 1835


Accession number: MS10768
From the State Library of Victoria's Manuscripts collection.
The Hentys at Portland