Review the structure
Once you've written your essay, it's important to put it aside for a few days – if you have time – to get some distance. A bit of space helps you view your work objectively.
The most effective way to edit is to read your work a few times, focusing on different elements each time.
On your first read, think about the essay as a whole. Ask yourself:
- Is the reader left with one clear message when they finish reading?
- Is that message what I really want to say?
- Does my essay have a clear introduction, body and conclusion?
- Have I covered all the points in my plan?
- Is my argument convincing?
- Do I contradict myself at all?
- Does my writing flow well?
And, most importantly:
- Have I answered the question?