On your second read, look at each paragraph in turn. First, look at your introduction and ask:
- Is my argument clear?
- Does it answer the essay question?
- Have I included any necessary background information?
Then, look at the body of the essay and ask:
- Is each paragraph about one idea?
- Does each paragraph have a topic sentence describing the point of that paragraph?
- Is there at least one clear example in each paragraph?
- Do examples relate to the point they're meant to illustrate?
- Do I explain each example and link to the next paragraph?
- Have I used a variety of sources?
- Do paragraphs fit together in a way that makes sense?
- Does every paragraph add to, and relate back to, my argument?
Finally, look at your conclusion and ask:
- Does it summarise the key points in my essay?
- Does it link back to the introduction?
- Does it drive home my argument?
- Have I made sure there are no new ideas in my conclusion?