Life on the goldfields
This pathway brings together resources and activities for students exploring the Victorian goldrush as part of AusVELS Level 5 Humanities - History.
- Explore the impact of a significant development or event on a colony; for example, frontier conflict, the gold rushes, the Eureka Stockade, internal exploration, the advent of rail, the expansion of farming, drought (ACHHK095)
Below is a list of resources and pages featured in the Explore History section of this site that support research into the Victorian goldrush.
Environmental and social impact
- Aborigines and the goldrush
- Eureka Stockade
- Law and order
- Prospecting methods
- Land, taxation and revenue
- Changing roles and wealth
Other resources are available in the Golden Victoria section of the site.
These activities can support students' research and writing about the gold rushes:
- Generating questions - See Think Wonder
- Generating questions - Lotus diagram
- Search strategies for the web
- Using catalogues
- Finding newspapers online - Trove
These activities explore key issues and primary sources:
The Research skills section also provides addtional information and strategies for students.
More to explore